MAKES 15 SERVINGS
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Heat the oil, anise, and sesame seeds in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil has absorbed the flavors, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the xylitol, and the lemon and orange rinds and juices. Mix the reserved 1 tablespoon of xylitol with the cinnamon and set aside. Stir in the flour, a little at a time, until a thick dough forms; work in the last flour additions with your hands, kneading until smooth. Cover
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to ¼ – inch thickness. Cut with a 2- inch round cookie cutter and arrange almond slivers, pressing them in so they adhere, and sprinkle with cinnamon-xylitol mixture. Bake until just starting to brown along the edges, about 12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on a rack, then remove from the baking sheet and cool completely on the rack.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (2 cookies)
141 Cal, 6g Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 0mg Chol, 1mg Sod, 20g Carb, 1g Fib, 1g Prot, 10mg Calc.