MAKES 8 SERVINGS
This is a refreshing alternative to traditional tabouleh, which is typically made with bulgar wheat. Additionally, this recipe has less parsley (although parsley is actually OUTSTANDING for you, It can be somewhat overwhelming and an acquired taste) and some additional other vegetables. This salad is very substantial and filling, and usually a hit with most guests. It does not get any healthier.
- ¾ cup barley
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 2 cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Prepare barley 45 minutes in advance according to directions. Barley will make double amount when cooked.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When barley has cooled, place in a large mixing bowl. Add tomato, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, parsley, and mint.
- Add in oil and lemon juice dressing mixture. Toss gently. Add more lemon juice and salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or so. This salad should be served cold.
Nutrition Per Serving
139 Calories, 17g Carbohydrates, 1g Saturated Fat, 3g Protein, 7mg Sodium, 4g Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 4g Fiber