MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 ¾ teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 ½ to 4-pound) chicken, trimmed of visible fat but not skinned
- 1 cup ketchup (organic)
- 5 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dry mustard
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill for indirect heating.
- Combine the paprika, 1 ¼ teaspoons of the garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of the chili powder, the salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut out the chicken’s backbone with poultry shears. Open the chicken out flat, skin-side up. With your fingers, loosen the skin over the breasts, legs, and thighs, and spread the paprika mixture under the skin. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and the remaining ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and chili powder. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the chicken, skin-side up, over the indirect heat section of the grill. Grill 20 minutes, turn, and grill 20 minutes longer. Turn the chicken skin-side up; carefully remove the skin with tongs and discard. Grill the chicken 10 minutes more. Brush the chicken with half of the sauce and continue grilling until an instant-read thermometer registers 165F when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, and 170F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, 10-15 minutes longer. Remove from the grill, cover loosely with foil, and let stand 5 minutes before cutting into serving pieces. Cut each breast half horizontally in half. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (one halved breast half, or one leg, with about 3 tablespoons sauce)
226 Calories, 6g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 77mg Cholesterol, 839mg Sodium, 15g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 27g Protein, 42mg Calcium