Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice wine ¾ pound lean round steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 (1-pound) bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ -inch lengths
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil ½ teaspoon xylitol Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the sherry in a zip-close plastic bag; add the steak. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag; turn to coat the steak. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the asparagus and carrots; cover and simmer until barely crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander under cold water to stop the cooking; set aside.
- To prepare the flavoring sauce, whisk together the water, the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the sesame oil, xylitol, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to the heat; let it get very hot. Swirl in ½ teaspoon of olive oil. When the oil is just beginning to shimmer, add the beef. Stir-fry until browned on the edges but still pink in the center, about 2 minutes. Transfer the beef and pan juices to a heatproof bowl and keep warm.
- Return the skillet to the heat; let it get very hot. Swirl in the remaining ½ teaspoon of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the scallions, garlic, ginger, and black beans. Stir-fry until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the reserved cooked vegetables and stir-fry until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the beef and its juices, then the flavoring sauce. Stir-fry until heated through, 2-3 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
210 Calories, 8g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 45mg Cholesterol, 292mg Sodium, 16g Carbohydrates, 4g Protein, 56mg Calcium