MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 1 (3 ½ -pound) chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces, wings discarded
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms (about ½ pound), sliced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ½ -ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Cut both breast pieces in half.
- Combine the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on both sides of the chicken pieces. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Spray an ovenproof skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 7-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Spray the skillet with nonstick spray and set over low heat. Add the shallot and garlic; cook until fragrant. Stir in the mushrooms; cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 7-8 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the wine, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, and the bay leaf, bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, submerge it in the sauce, and bring to a gentle boil. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 45-50 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and sprinkle with the parsley
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (1 ½ cups)
170 Calories, 4g Fat, 1 Saturated Fat, 79mg Cholesterol, 563mg Sodium, 5g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 27g Protein, 24mg Calcium