CHICKEN WITH MANGO RELISH
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- ½ cup water
- 1 bag black pekoe tea
- 2 quarter-size slices unpeeled fresh ginger
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 ½ teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 2 medium (12-ounce) ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small celery stalk with leaves, minced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (wear gloves when handling to prevent irritation)
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 (5-ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- To prepare the tea stain, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the tea bag, ginger, and peppercorns. Let stand 5 minutes. Squeeze out the tea bag and discard, then add the tamari or soy sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue boiling, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 4 minutes. Let cool; remove and discard the ginger and peppercorns.
- Preheat the oven to 350
- To prepare the relish, combine the mangoes, celery, jalapeno pepper, onion, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
- Brush both sides of the chicken with the tea stain. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of the oil, then add the chicken. Cook until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes; add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and turn the chicken over. When browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooled through, 8-9 minutes. Serve with the mango relish.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (1 breast half with ½ cup relish)
Calories 240, 6g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 77mg Cholesterol, 208mg Sodium, 21g Carbohydrates