CHILE AND TURKEY STEW
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound skinless boneless turkey
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ½-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Spray the broiler rack with nonstick spray; preheat the broiler. Broil the chilies 4 inches from the heat, turning frequently with tongs, until the skin is shriveled and darkened, 10-20 minutes. Place the chilies in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and steam 10-20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel, seed, and cut into 1-inch pieces (wear gloves when handling to prevent irritation).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the turkey. Cook until browned, 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, the red and green bell peppers, and the garlic; cook until the onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Return the turkey and its juices to the skillet and add the broth, chilies, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
181 Calories, 20g Protein, 1g Carbohydrates, 1g Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 44mg Cholesterol, 411mg Sodium, 2g Fiber, 41mg Calcium