MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (free range, hormone free)
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small can Ortega chilis
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1-2 teaspoons Real Salt
- 3 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or organic canned (no-salt-added variety)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups kidney beans, cooked and drained (you may use canned if you don’t have time to cook beans)
- 1 cup black beans or chickpea beans, cooked
- Note: It is my preference to cook the vegetables as little as possible. As a result you will be blending them in step 4. However, if you prefer not go through the process of blending the vegetables, and prefer cooking the vegetables, you will need to sauté them as step 1. In that case, heat a teaspoon of refined coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add bell pepper and celery, sauté for about 2 minutes. Then proceed to step 2.
- In a large saucepan or pot, brown turkey meat in refined coconut oil over medium heat. Crumble turkey and break apart as much as possible. Add onion and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno (if using), chili powder, Ortega chilis, oregano, cumin seed salt, and tomatoes. Mix thoroughly until spices are well blended with meat and meat is browned (no longer pink).
- Add broth.
- Add beans. Stir thoroughly and heat through on medium-low, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Per Serving
209 Calories, 22g Protein, 24g Carbohydrates, 4g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 7mg Cholesterol, 687mg Sodium, 8g Fiber