CUCUMBER, BLACK BEAN, AND CHAYOTE SALAD WITH TORTILLA STRIPS
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 2 (8-inch) flour tortillas, halved and cut into ¼- inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 chayote, pitted and cut into ½ – inch pieces
- 1 (15 ½-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ Has avocado, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon xylitol
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine the tortilla strips with 1 teaspoon of the oil, the chili powder, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and the cayenne in a bowl; toss well to coat. Spread the tortillas in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan and bake until crisp, 5-6 minutes, set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the remaining 1 teaspoon of the oil; add the chayote. Cook until the chayote just start to soften, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the black beans, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, orange juice, lime juice, xylitol, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of the salt to the chayote. Toss the salad with the dressing to coat. Gently stir in the tortilla strips and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 (cup)
151 Calories, 6g Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 556mg Sodium, 24g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 5g Protein, 61mg Calcium