MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- ¼ cup vegetable broth for sautéing vegetables, or 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 4 celery stalks, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large soup pot, heat vegetable broth (preferably) or refined coconut oil. Sauté celery, carrot, red bell peppers, onion, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add water and vegetable broth to pot. Stir in lentils and rice. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in herbs, garlic salt, curry, cumin, lemon pepper, and pepper. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until lentils fall apart and mixture thickens.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro or parsley as desired.
Nutrition Per Serving
212 Calories, 14g Protein, 37g Carbohydrates, 1g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 802mg Sodium, 9g Fiber