LENTIL SPINACH SOUP
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 5 cups warm water
- 1 cup brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 Thai, cayenne, or Serrano chilies, minced (wear gloves when handling to prevent irritation)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) bag triple-washed spinach, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Bring 4 cups of the water and the lentils to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and sizzle just until fragrant, 10-15 seconds. Immediately add the onion and garlic and stir-fry until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, chilies, salt, and the remaining 1 cup of water; bring to a boil. Pour the tomato-onion mixture into the saucepan with the lentils. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach just before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (1 cup)
161 calories, 3g Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 5mg Cholesterol, 434mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrates, 10g Fiber, 11g Protein, 86mg Calcium