PEAS WITH TOMATOES
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon earth balance
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds, ground
- 2-3 Thai, cayenne, or Serrano chilies, seeded and minced ( wear gloves when handling to prevent irritation)
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Bring the water and peas to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; skim off any foam that floats to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Do not drain; the peas should be a little “soupy.”
- Melt the earth balance in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, and chiles, and cook until the garlic is golden brown and the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato, cilantro, salt, and turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften and become almost saucy, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and continue simmering, covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (3/4 cup)
225Calories, 13g Protein, 37g Carbohydrates, 4gFat, 2g Saturated Fat, 8mg Cholesterol, 594mg Sodium, 13g Fiber, 54mg Calcium