THE RIGHT SNACKS CAN HELP BALANCE BLOOD SUGAR AND KEEP YOUR FOCUS AND MEMORY ON TRACK.
Always drink a large (16oz) glass of water. Adding “greens” will decrease your appetite for unhealthy or unnecessary snacks. Hydrating your system and giving it the nutrients it needs with “greens” will often minimize unwanted cravings.
- Cut mixed vegetables (such as bell peppers, celery, cucumbers, broccoli, and cauliflower).
- Soaked raw almonds. Pre-soak almonds in water so they are ready to go. They make a fantastic snack and are very satisfying. It starts the sprouting process, loads the almonds with water making them more filling and water dense (which is healthier), and makes them tastier and easier to easier most people.
- Fresh guacamole on gluten-free or sprouted grain toast. I mash half an avocado in a bowl and add a few drops of lemon juice and a tiny bit of garlic salt. This is a very filling and satisfying snack.
- Celery with 2 tablespoons of organic, raw almond butter.
- A banana, apple, or other low-glycemic fruit.
- Sliced apple dipped in raw almond butter.
- ½ cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries with ¼ cup coconut milk yogurt or rice yogurt.
- Steamed edamame with a pinch of Real salt.
- Meal-replacement protein bars. These are not my first choice, but they are good in a pinch. Sometimes I carry them when I’m traveling and unable to plan meals as effectively as usual. Be sure to read labels when choosing, as many labels can be misleading. Most of these bars are loaded with sugar. Find bars that are sweetened with malitol, sorbitol, or erythritol. Also, I prefer bars that use protein sources from soy or rice as opposed to milk proteins.
- Rice crackers or baked sweet potato chips with fresh salsa. Pay attention to calories and fat when choosing this snack.
- Protein shake (soy or rice protein) with fresh or frozen fruit.
- One-half of a baked sweet potato with 1 teaspoon Earth Balance buttery spread.
- Popcorn with Earth Balance sauce. To make buttery sauce, melt 1 tablespoon Earth Balance, 1 teaspoon Spike Seasoning or Cayenne pepper, and Real salt. Slowly drizzle sauce over popcorn while mixing.
- For non-vegetarians, sliced turkey breast (not packaged lunch meat that contains nitrates) and cantaloupe.
- Deviled eggs with hummus. Slice the eggs, discard the yolks fill with 1 tablespoon hummus, and add paprika to taste.
- Biogenesis Protein Bars: www.bio-genesis.com