This frozen dessert is usually made with heavy cream or ice cream. But you can say ciao to the calories, because our version is made with fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt and part-skim ricotta cheese.
- 1 (8- ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pints fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, softened
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Toasted almonds (optional)
- Combine the ricotta, xylitol, vanilla, almond extract, and the nutmeg in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth, about 5 seconds. Add the frozen yogurt and pulse to combine, about 5 seconds longer.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13-inch metal baking pan or a shallow plastic tub and cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Freeze until partially frozen, about 3 hours.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with foil liners.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Do not over process. Spoon the mixture into the cups, cover, and freeze until firm, about 3 hours longer. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften and sprinkle with additional nutmeg and almonds (if using) before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (1/2 cup)
100 Cal, 2g Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 6mg Chol, 54mg Sod, 14g Carb, 0g Fib, 4g Prot, 352mg Calc