MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, dissolved in ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Real Salt
- *optional: ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Clean out seeds. Place squash face down on a baking dish and place in oven for about 45 minutes.
- While squash is baking heat oil in large skillet and sauté onions, garlic, and zucchini for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add red bell pepper and mushrooms, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except water, and simmer over low heat until squash is finished.
- Monitor sauce for consistency to determine amount of water to be added. Add as needed.
- When squash is finished, let cool for 5 minutes. Use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti squash into a bowl. Squash is finished when the fork goes in easily. Squash shreds like spaghetti.
- Spoon sauce over “spaghetti” and serve hot.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: (1 ¼ cups)
139 Calories, 4g Protein, 25g Carbohydrates, 4gFat, 3g Saturated Fat, 7mg Cholesterol, 2046mg Sodium, 7g Fiber