SPINACH ASPARAGUS SALAD WITH QUINOA
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable broth for sautéing, or 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil to coat quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bunch asparagus tips
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chive
- ¼ cup pine nuts, raw
- Real salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable broth or 2 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions for 1 minute in broth.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to pot. Add quinoa and stir well to coal lightly with vegetable oil.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and stir quinoa constantly for about 10 minutes or until quinoa is lightly toasted.
- Add broth and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add asparagus tips to quinoa during last 2 minutes of cooking. This will give you crunchy, healthy asparagus and ensure that they are not overcooked. It also eliminates the step of having to sauté or steam them separately (but if you prefer softer veggies you may cook them separately and add them).
- Add the spinach to the quinoa while the quinoa is still warm and mix it in. It will wilt the spinach without overcooking it, thus retaining most of the nutritional value. Add sage and chives.
- Add pine nuts and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Bragg Liquid Aminos, if desired, serve warm
Nutrition Per Serving
210 Calories, 24g Carbohydrates, 5g Saturated Fat, 71mg Sodium, 8g Protein, 11g Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 5g Fiber