SPINACH BARLEY SOUP
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups barley, cooked
- 1 pound baby spinach, stems removed
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 1½ tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and deseed the tomatoes. Drop room-temperature tomatoes into boiling water. Leave in water for about 30 seconds. Do Not leave tomatoes in water too long. Remove from boiling water and rinse tomatoes in cold water. Use a sharp knife to pierce the skins. Skins should come off easily. Chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Cook barley as directed on package.
- In a 6-quart pot, use broth or coconut oil over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic in oil for about 3 minutes or until onions look translucent.
- Add remaining vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add barley to vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spinach and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add basil, salt, and pepper.
- Serve in soup bowls.
Nutrition Per Serving
110 Calories, 4g Protein, 23g Carbohydrates, 1g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 1436mg Sodium, 5g Fiber