SWEET POTATO SOUP
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons leeks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-7 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/8 cup cranberries
- Cinnamon, sprinkled for garnish
- Heat ¼ cup of vegetable broth in large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, and leeks for 2 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add 4 cups of remaining vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Use immersion blender or pour contents into a blender in batches. Blend until smooth.
- Pour soup back into pot (if using a blender). Add almond milk. Then slowly add remaining broth according to preferred consistency.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Dish soup into bowls. Sprinkle sunflower seeds, sage, and cranberries in each bowl and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
81 Calories, 2g Protein, 17g Carbohydrates, 0g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 4mg Sodium, 2g Fiber